Copyright © 2008 Touch Transform, LLc. All rights reserved.
1909 Central St., Evanston, IL
Call for day of appointments
CranioSacral Therapy is a gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of a physiological body system called the craniosacral system - comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord.
Using a soft touch generally no greater than 5 grams, or about the weight of a nickel, Emily releases restrictions in the craniosacral system to improve the functioning of the central nervous system. For clients, the result is a profound experience of inner peace and stillness, decrease in physical pain, improvement in nerve function, increase in range-of-motion, and relief from the effects of anxiety/ stress. Because this bodywork is so relaxing, it is very common for clients to drift into deep meditation, or into restorative sleep, while the techniques and adjustments are being performed.
* Migraines (including cluster migraines)
* Headaches triggered by stress or tension
* Aura/ visual disturbances and nausea with head pain
* Sinus problems – pain, congestion, pain in face
* Concussion (acute or long-standing symptoms)
* Sacroiliac pain/ Sciatica
* Nerve issues, neuropathy, phantom limb pain
* Pressure around or in eyes, or in temple area
* Brain fog and difficulty concentrating
* Dizziness/ vertigo/ equilibrium issues
* Feeling of “water” or fluid in the ears
* Tinnitus – ringing, whooshing, pops in ears
* TMJ pain (temporo-mandibular joint) / jaw pain
* Soreness from clenching/ grinding/ bruxing
* Popping in ears or jaw with jaw movement
* Chronic stress and Tension-related issues
* Pain in joints (head to toe)
* Physical/ emotional trauma from accidents (car, bike, falls etc)
* Carpal tunnel/ repetitive motion issues
* Post surgical dysfunction and pain
* Preparation for surgery – physical and emotional
* "Blocks" in the body, physical or energetic
Completion of “Interruption of life-process” trauma (e.g. miscarriage, terminated pregnancy, C-section, hysterectomy before menopause)
Pain from braces/orthodontic appliances (current or past)
Anxiety / stress
The craniosacral system is contained within our skull, vertebrae and sacrum (the triangular bone at the bottom of the spine). This system functions to protect and nutritionally support the brain and spinal cord or central nervous system. Our meningeal (or dural) membranes line the inside of our skull/vertebrae/sacrum and the outside of our brain.
Contained between the inner layers of membrane is cerebrospinal fluid (called CSF). There are small organs within our brain (called choroid plexus) that manufacture CSF from our blood, and pump the CSF into the space between the layers of dural membrane, where it flows down our vertebral canal to the sacrum. After reaching the sacrum, the CSF ebbs back up to the skull, flows around the brain, and is reabsorbed into the bloodstream through little organs called arachnoid villi.
This ebb and flow of the CSF creates a subtle rhythm that can be felt anywhere on the body. The normal rate for this rhythm is 6-12 full cycles per minute, starting around 10 weeks gestation (prebirth) and continuing through life. During this therapy, the rhythm is evaluated for symmetry, quality, amplitude, and rate, at the start and completion of every session. Evaluating this rhythm can give a therapist a lot of information about the condition of a client's nervous system, connective tissue tone, and any injuries (acute or chronic) that are affecting flow of blood, lymph and CSF.
The client (this could be you!) will be laying on Emily’s very comfortable massage table, on your back (face up), and fully clothed for the whole session. Emily places her hands on various parts of the client's body, (usually includes feet, the spine and back, shoulders, abdomen, neck, cranium) and uses gentle techniques with low-velocity manipulations to evaluate and release restrictions from connective tissue and muscle. You might drift into sleep, or into a deep meditative space during the session. Because of this, most sessions are performed in silence, so that clients (you!) are able to experience the maximum peace and healing that is possible.
It is normal to experience a change in your condition by the completion of the first session. For longer standing patterns of restriction, it may take a series of sessions to experience lasting change due to muscle/connective tissue memory.
>>To Book with Emily return to the top of any page to be directed to our online booking system<<